Today saw the announcement of winners by several big international wine awards bodies. English & Welsh Wines won a fair few awards, so I though I’d summarise them.
Today’s English Wine poster boys (and girls) are Bolney, Camel Valley, Gusbourne, Hush Heath, Ridgeview and Nyetimber. Very well done to them. Is this just a case of the usual suspects? No – what is really significant here is the consistency these producers are beginning to show. A bit more detail on which wines won (with the awarding bodies in no particular order) is below . . .
- Trophy (UK Sparkling over £10) (1): Gusbourne Estate Blanc De Blancs 2007
- Gold (2): Camel Valley Pinot Noir Brut 2010, Hush Heath Estate Balfour Brut Rosé 2008
- Silver (19): Ancre Hill Estates 2008, Breaky Bottom Cuvée Francine 2007, Chapel Down Marks & Spencer Sparkling Rosé NV, Chapel Down Three Graces 2008, Denbies Wine Estate Noble Harvest 2011, Furleigh Estate Bacchus Fumé 2010, Furleigh Estate Classic Cuvée 2009, Gusbourne Estate Rosé 2008, Henners Reserve 2009, Henners Vintage 2009, Hush Heath Estate Balfour Brut Rosé 2009, Jenkyn Place Vineyard Rosé 2008, Nyetimber Classic Cuvée 2007, Nyetimber Rosé 2008, Plumpton Estate The Dean Blush NV, Ridgeview Grosvenor 2009, Ridgeview Victoria Rosé 2009, Sharpham Vineyard Sparkling 2009, Strawberry Hill Vineyard Premier Sparkling 2008
- Bronze (43)
- Commended (21)
- Trophy (0)
- Gold (2): Camel Valley Brut 2010 (yep, it’s seyval), Ridgeview Marksman 2009
- Silver (21): Breaky Bottom Cuvee Princess Colonna 2008, Camel Valley Bacchus 2011, Camel Valley Pinot Noir Rose Brut 2009, Camel Valley Pinot Noir Rose Brut 2010, Camel Valley Rose 2011, Coates and Seely Blanc De Blancs NV, Coates and Seely Rosé NV, Denbies Noble Harvest 2011, Element 20 2010, Gusbourne Rose 2008, Henners Vintage 2009, Hindleap – Blanc De Blanc 2009, Hindleap – Brut Rose 2009, Nyetimber Blanc De Blancs 2003, Nyetimber Classic Cuvee 2007, Nyetimber Rose 2008, Plumpton Estate The Dean Brut, Ridgeview Bloomsbury 2009, Ridgeview Knightsbridge Blanc De Noirs 2009, South Ridge Brut 2009 (Ridgeview), Stopham Estate Pinot Gris 2010
- Bronze (26)
- Commended (34)
- Gold outstanding (1): Bolney Wine Estate Blanc De Blancs 2007
- Gold (1): Nyetimber 2003 Blanc de Blancs
- Silver outstanding (4): Denbies Noble Late Harvest 2011, Chapel Down Pinot Reserve 2005, Furleigh Classic Cuvée 2009, Gusbourne Blanc de Blanc 2007
- Silver (13): Ancre Hill Estates Sparkling Rosé 2008, Camel Valley White Pinot 2009, Camel Valley Annie’s Anniversary 2009, Chapel Down Brut NV, Chapel Down Pinot Chardonnay 2006, Balfour Brut Rosé 2009, Nutbourne Sussex Reserve 2010, Nyetimber 2007 Classic Cuvee, Ridgeview Knightsbridge Blanc de Noirs 2009, Ridgeview Grosvenor Blanc de Blancs 2009, Ridgeview Victoria Rosé 2009, Ridgeview Bloomsbury 2009, The Mount Vineyard Sparking Rose 2009
- Bronze (17)
It’s good to see Plumpton gaining quite a few silvers today!
Please check out the websites of the individual awards bodies (links above) for more details.
Oh – and a quick edit since I did not post about the recent Sommelier Wine Awards
- Gold, still: Biddenden Gribble Bridge Ortega 2010
- Gold, sparkling £14-20: Ridgeview Knightsbridge Blanc de Noirs 2009 (critics’ choice)
- Gold, sparkling <£14: Furleigh Estate Classic Cuvée Brut 2009
- Silver, still: Sharpham Dart Valley Reserve 2010
- Silver, sparkling £14-20: Gusbourne Blanc de Blancs 2007
- Silver, sparkling rosé (2): Coates & Seely Britagne Brut Rosé NV, Camel Valley Cornwall Pinot Noir Brut Rosé 2010
- Bronze, still (3); Bronze, sparkling £14-20 (1); Bronze, sparkling <£14 (2)